Best Ethernet cables for gaming -2020 Review
Arguably, as an online gaming enthusiast, a fast and reliable connectivity is one of your primary concerns, right?
Well, you may tinker around with several wireless connections, among other alternatives, but nothing beats the reliability of an Ethernet cable. In this post, we provide reviews of some of the best Ethernet cables in the market, and an informative buyer's guide that answers some of the critical questions that might be boggling your mind.
10 Best Ethernet cables for gaming
1. Dan Yee Cat 7 Ethernet Cable
- Category: Cat 7
- Length: 10ft
- Speed: 10 Gbps
- Bandwidth: 600MHZ
- Connector: RJ45 universal connector
- More features: 4 STP copper wires
To start as off is Dan Yee Cat 7 Ethernet Cable that can provide you with superfast connectivity, as well as unparalleled performance thanks to its advanced technology. Infusing into your gaming arsenal can allow you to enjoy download and upload speeds of up to 10 Gbps.
What could have initially taken 30 minutes with the older categories could now take less than ten minutes to finish, which can be of great convenience. Also as an avid online gamer you get to make split- second decisions comfortably resulting to better performance
Its flat design allows concealment, which leaves your house clutter free. You can also easily carry it when travelling.
It features a RJ45 universal connector that allows the pairing of several devices, such as the Xbox, ps2, ps3, and ps4, among others. This eliminates the need for new installations. For great results, you can link it with an equally high-performance ISP, cables and devices.
This cable is suitable for those who play or download heavy online games.
- Provides superfast connection
- Strong since its surface is braided with nylon
- Dirty proof, as well as elegant
- Heavily shielded to prevent cross talk and noise interference
- Fairly priced
- Lifetime free customer care service
- Some clients complain about its thickness
2. Jadaol Cat 7 Ethernet Cable
- Category: Cat 7
- Length: 50ft
- Speed: 10Gbs
- Bandwidth: 600 MHZ
- Connector: RJ45 with 50 micron Gold contact pins
- More features:
- Flat cable shape
As a category 7, the Jadaol Cat 7 Ethernet Cable delivers premium service associated with the class. You can stream, upload or download data with speeds of up to 10Gbs.
What we like about this Cable is its RJ45 connector has the 50 micron Gold contact pins can provide a strong and lasting internet connectivity. This ensures that you are not interrupted while gaming or going about any other business. Besides, it cuts down on expenditures associated with replacements.
Another worthwhile attribute is the Snagless boot that allows multiple insertions with minimal incidences or breakages. As such, it can save you from unnecessary purchases or headache.
Not to forget is its triple-shield design that prevents noise interference due to EMI or cross-talk with neighboring cables, which enables high speed performance.
The cable has passed the fluke test requirement and patch cord testing, which makes it suitable for use in big data centers, as well as for domestic use.
Perfect for networking switch, routers, ADSL, Adapters, Modem, PS3, PS4, X-box, Patch panel, Servers, Networking Printers, Netgear, TPlink, NAS, VoIP phones, laptop, Coupler, Hubs, Keystone jack, Smart tv, Imac and other device with RJ45 connectors
- High-speed Cable
- Compatible with a wide range of devices and cables
- Triple shielded to prevent cross talk and noise interference
- A flat shape can fit well with its surroundings
- The flat shape reduces its thickness which can affect its robustness and durability
3. Vandesail 2 CAT 7 Ethernet Cable
The Vandesail 2 CAT 7 Ethernet Cable comes along with two Gold plate connectors on each end, which provides reliable data transfer, as well as an appealing aesthetics. The Cable transfers up to 10 Gbs and also has a superb bandwidth of 1000 MHZ, which ensures top-notch performance.
Another premium feature is its Oxygen-free copper wire component whose purity is about 99.95 percent. This eliminates any possibilities of encountering buffering/lag issues. As such, you get to enjoy top-notch services.
With a 6.5 feet length and a concealable flat design, you can easily install the Cable without leaving a snaky mess behind. You can conceal underneath your carpet or any other suitable places. These can be of convenience since it brings about organization in your house and reduces your chances of tripping over connections.
Its compatibility with Cat 5 and Cat 6 cables, a wide range of appliances, and connectors, such as the Poe passive injector makes it cost-effective. Since, it disqualifies the need for purchasing new equipment, which can be a welcome if on tight budget.
A drawback that we noticed with the Cable is its unsuitability for outdoor use, as its external layer requires some special processing to accommodate such. This makes it ideal for avid gamers who like staying at home and doing their thing.
- Compatible with a wide range of products
- Additional shielding that prevents cross-talk and noise interference
- Not suitable for outdoor use
4. Mediabridge Ethernet Cable (50 Feet) - Supports Cat6 / Cat5e / Cat5 Standards
- Category: Cat 6
- Length: 50ft
- Speed: 10Gbps
- Bandwidth: 550MHZ
- Connector: RJ45
- More features:
- Gold plated contact
Although a Cat 6 cable, the Mediabridge Ethernet cable exudes the characteristics of a Cat 7 Cable. With a speed of up to 10Gbs and a bandwidth of 550MHZ, you can easily stream big data without a glitch or lag in performance.
What makes it outstanding is its ability to maintain a consistent performance despite having a more than average length. As such, you can easily snake it around several rooms without compromising signal quality. Better still, you have the flexibility of choosing your favorite color, as well as suitable length.
Its Gold plated contacts ensure that no signal is lost during the streaming process. Moreover, its Snagless design offers perfect clip protection when installing and using the Cable.
It is suitable for people and organizations that that run heavy applications requiring higher bandwidth and speed. Such include heavy game users and video industry stakeholders.
- Compatible with current high-performance Ethernet and gigabit Ethernet cables, as well as other Ethernet devices
- Certified for high-speed data transfer by the TIA/EIA 568B.2 organization and adheres to ISO/IEC 11801 regulations
- It comes along with a free Velcro strap that enables secure storage and organization
- Has form insulation to prevent noise interference and cross talk
- Superfast compared to wireless connections and the other lower Ethernet cable categories
- A thin jacket can allow interruptions
5. Matein Cat 7 Ethernet Cable - 50 ft.
- Category: Cat 7
- Length: 50ft
- Speed: 10 Gbs
- Bandwidth: 600 MHZ
- Connector: Rj45
- More features: Flat design
Apart from providing quality performance (10 Gbs speed and 600 MHZ bandwidth) associated with a Cat 7 cable. This Cable utilizes bare copper wire that enables the retainment of signals. As a player, you get to enjoy your game without interference.
Since it has a flat design, you can align it alongside your wall or sneak it under your carpet. This can enable you maintain order in your house.
- Enables universal connection
- Flat design that can fit well with the surroundings
- Some customers complain that it isn’t strong enough
6. CableGeeker Cat 7 Shielded Ethernet Cable 6 Pack
The Cat 7 Shielded Ethernet Cable 6 Pack offers an irrespirable package that comes along with awesome goodness. To begin with, each cable in the pack is color-coded, which enables quick identification.
When put to use as a package, you can get better performance in terms upload and download speeds compared to the other categories.
We are fascinated by the cable’s advanced locking tips that can firmly secure them, which minimizes hiccups while in use. Besides, their minimal five feet length that prevents them from intertwining when connected
As if that’s not enough, they come at an affordable price, comparable to a steal. In essence you don't need to break a bank to afford this pack.
- Compatible with Cat 5e and Cat 6 cables
- Flat design.
- Not strong enough due to the flat design
7. Cable Matters CAT6 5-color Combo
The Cable Matters 5-color Combo is also a pack of Cat 6 cables with similar efficiencies to those of Cat 7 cables. They have transmission speeds of up to 10 Gbs and a bandwidth of 550 MHZ that makes them ideal for heavy network users, such as gamers and big data organizations.
What sets them apart from the rest is their ease of use, thanks to their improved cable tips and Snagless molds. You can easily attach and detach them. Besides, are colored differently for quick identification.
They are also reasonably priced considering the kind of output they provide.
- Different colors for easy identification
- Compatible with various devices and cables
- They have a Snagless mold that prevents corrosion
- High bandwidth and top speed for better performance
- You need to install them as a pack for maximum output
8. KabelDirekt 75 feet Cable
- Length: Cat 6
- Speed: 1gbs
- Connectors: Snagless RJ45
- More features:
The KabelDirekt, 75 feet Cable, brings about its own unique set of attributes. What places it ahead of the pack is its excellent performance, even at this length. You get to enjoy incredible streaming speeds of up to 1 Gbs wherever you are within the specified length.
Besides, installing it is a walk in the park thanks to its flexibility. You can stretch it along the wall or pass it through the available spaces to wherever you are. Additionally you secure it firmly using the Snagless RJ45 connectors.
- Comes with a thirty-six-month warranty
- Compatible with a lot of devices
- Lack of shielding material can make it prone to interferences
9. Zosion Cat 8 High-Speed Cable
If you wanted something out of the ordinary regarding cable speed and efficiency, then the Zosion Cat 8 High-Speed Cable is an ideal bet. With a speed of 40 Gbps and bandwidth of 2000MHZ, you can download and upload big data within seconds. As such, gamers can easily make split-second decisions as well as stream online stream games with comparative ease.
Due to its commendable length, you have the flexibility of playing games from whatever position you want in your house so long as it is within the cable range. For instance, across several rooms, balcony or bedroom, without experiencing latency issues whatsoever.
The Cable is ideal for students, gamers, and anybody who wants fast internet.
- High-speed data cable
- Heavily shielded for durability, as well as cancellation of noise and cross talk
- Great length
- Fluke tested
- Lifetime warranty
- Comes at a premium price
10. Glanics Cat 8 Ethernet Cable
A unique feature about this Cable is its 24k Gold plated RJ45 connector that ensures a lasting and robust internet connection.
Furthermore, it utilizes the latest Cat 8 technologies to stand out from the lower categories in terms of speed, durability, stability, and design.
- Provides excellent speed
- Fairly priced
- Short length
Differences Between Ethernet Cables Explained
In this section, we shall discuss some of the essential aspects that you need to know regarding Ethernet cables. We shall also answer some of the typical questions asked about them. Therefore, make it a point to go through the information. Don’t hesitate to ask a question if you fail to understand anything, we shall be glad to help.
What to look out for when choosing an Ethernet cable
- Range and performance: Check the performance of your existing infrastructure; for instance, the connectivity of your current internet service provider, and the types of cables connecting your devices.
- This will provide you with insight regarding what to purchase.
- The speed you require; for instance, do you need a 1 Gbs, 10 Gbs or 40 Gbs?
- The type of router in your possession; for instance, some support only up to 100 Mbs that is suitable for a cat 6 or cat 5e, but not 7 and 8.
The meaning of the word "Cat" and the differences between Cat3, Cat 5, Cat5e, Cat6, Cat 6a Cat7, and Cat 8
The term "Cat" simply means category in full, while the adjacent numbers indicate their levels of classification. The bigger the number, the more advanced and effective a cable is.
Although not a prerequisite, having some rudimental knowledge regarding the different types of categories can be helpful, as it will inform you of what to select depending on your needs. Here is a description of the categories:
- Cat 3 and Cat 5: These are the oldest models in the market and have become absolute since they are no longer being manufactured.
- Besides, they are not recognized by the telecommunications industries association (TIA) and were mainly used for 100Base-T and 1000Base-T networks. They are unsuitable for new installations since their production has ceased.
- Cat-5e: this category is recognized by the TIA/EIA and has a higher frequency compared to the Cat-5 Cable and can be used for the 100Base-T and 100Base-t networks.
- Cat 6: This category of cables has wires that are tightly wound and have a braided shielding or foil that prevents noise interference and cross talk; thus, provide more exceptional performance compared to a Cat 5 and Cat 5e cable.
- These cables can support up to 10 Gbps when placed at a distance of 55 meters. Some of them might include a nylon spline whose function is to reduce cross-talk between cables.
- Cat-6a: They are the advanced version of Cat 6 category cables. The letter "a" stands for augmented. The cables' bandwidth is twice that of Cat6. As such, they can achieve higher performance over a long distance. The only downside is that they tend to weigh more and are less flexible.
- Cat 7: These types of cables can attain maximum speeds of up to100 Gbs. More often, they utilize a modified GigaGate 45 connector with backward compatibility. They feature an outer covering that surrounds four shielded pairs.
- Cat 8: They are the latest models in the market, as such, feature incredible speeds, as well as top-notch performance
What are the RJ45 connectors?
The acronym stands for registered jack 45 connector. They are typically utilized as the physical connectors in most of the networking cables and Ethernet cables.
These connectors can be placed into two main groups:
- Standard RJ45 connectors: These are common with ordinary networking and Ethernet cables
- Specialized RJ45 connectors: These are mainly used with the Cat 7 Ethernet cables. They can also be referred to as GigaGate45 (GG45).
They have backward compatibility with other connectors, which eliminates the need for new installations when used.
Does the kind of material used on a connector matter?
Yes, since it will determine if a cable is going to retain a constant signal or not. A metal such as Gold that is rarely oxide can make an excellent connector as it will eliminate the chances of losing signals due to oxidation.
As a result, it can create a lasting and robust internet connection, as well as reduce expenditure due to replacements.
Meanings of the various abbreviations
TP (twisted pair): Refers to the intertwined wires inside an Ethernet cable
Cat: means category
STP (shielded twisted pair): Refers to a twisted pair that is placed inside a non-conductive polymer to prevent noise interference and cross talk.
UTP (unshielded twisted pair): Although having twisted pair of wires, such cables do not have any kind of shielding. Noise cancellation is aided by special prevention mechanisms.
FTP (foil twisted pair): refers to a cable that features an additional protective layer shielding that wraps the individual twisted wires to reduce cross-talk with the neighboring cables.
SFTP (shielded and foiled twisted pair cable): this one has both a foil shield around each twisted wire and an overall outer layer that covers the whole Cable.
What do you mean by the terms cross-talk and noise interference concerning Ethernet cables, and how do they affect performance when gaming?
Cross talk refers to a form of interference whereby signals from a specific cable induce an EMI (electromagnetic interference) in a neighboring cable. This phenomenon majorly affects copper cables.
Similarly, noise interference refers to the unwanted electrical signals that interfere with the desired signal. They can be constant or temporary.
These two phenomena can dramatically lead to low speeds that will significantly affect your gaming experience.
What type of Ethernet cable is suitable for playing games?
Generally, you can use a Cat5e or Cat 6 cable to play massive online games. However, you should note that a Cat 6 cable is more advanced than a Cat5e; thus, it can make a better option when using current technology or devices.
Besides, it can be of great convenience if you like downloading or streaming massive game files.
What is the advantage of using an Ethernet cable over a wireless connection when gaming?
Why you should prefer an Ethernet cable over Wi-Fi connection is that a wireless connection is susceptible to congestion; therefore, it can perform dismally if the games involved require robust connectivity.
What is the recommended length limit for an Ethernet cable to be used for gaming purposes?
The maximum advisable length is 100 meters. Anything above that can result in lower speeds or loss of data.
If you are looking for the best overall Ethernet cable for gaming, then the Zosion Cat 8 High-Speed Cable should come first on your list. This Cable offers incredible speeds plus a recommendable bandwidth that can effectively address any of your gaming needs. The Cable also provides the needed flexibility thanks to its more than average 100ft length.
If you want to spend the minimal amount of money, but still get a recommendable gaming package, then the Cat 7 Shielded Ethernet Cable 6 Pack fits the bill. These cables come in a pack of six and perform precisely what they were created for.
Zosion Cat 8 High-Speed Cable - Editor's choice